The deadline for the annual submission of the WSP is 30 April 2021!
The law states that a company with a payroll that exceeds R500 000 per annum must be registered to pay the Skills Development Levy (SDL). All companies with 50 or more employees need to establish a Skills Development Committee and consult with the Committee prior to the submission of the skills report. All companies need to appoint a suitably qualified Skills Development Facilitator (SDF) to facilitate the training needs within the organisation and liaise with the SETA. The WSP (Workplace Skills Plan) plays a significant role in the execution of education, training and development initiatives in the organization. An employer needs to establish a WSP, which is a strategic document that details how the employer will address the needs for development and training in the workplace. Remember to link this to your succession plan! This should be in line with the core and critical skills identified by the SETA. The ATR (Annual Training Report) is accurate documentation of all the training that has taken place in the reporting period in the organisation i.e.: the ATR is the past information and the WSP is the future planned training. Benefits of Submitting your Skills Development Reports:
- The Skills Development Act aims to develop the skills of the South African workforce, thereby improving the quality of life for workers and giving them more prospects of work. It also aims to improve productivity in the workplace, the competitiveness of employers and to promote development.
- The Skills Development Levies collected by the SETA are channelled towards skills development. This levy can be claimed back by an employer if they submit their WSP, ATR and Pivotal training report and achieve the goals set out
- You can claim up to 20% of the SDL you pay by submitting your WSP and ATR in time
- In order to maximise your B-BBEE points for skills development, you need to submit your skills development report to the SETA on time
- You are able to access SETA grants to assist in training your employees